Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kellen



The board I picked was bamboo, I was planning on doing oak but changed my mind because I wanted a more bendable board. Yesterday we worked on layering our boards with a layer of clear coat. After that we sanded all the excess coat. We are still waiting for the trucks to be put on the board. The bolts we had didn't fit the trucks so we had to get new bolts ordered. Today we are going to apply either grip tape or sand on the top of the board. Yesterday I also started riding some pre-made boards. I quickly realized that it is different then skateboarding a lot more carving and speed is used. I have been skateboarding for 5 years on and off but for longboarding time for day 2 of riding. The style of skateboarding started as longboarding it seems. Not just the design but the way people used to ride back in the 1970s is a lot more similar to the way people ride skateboards now. Now skateboarding seems like it is all about tricks. In the 1970s it was all about the feel of the experience. For example a very popular way of riding in the 70s was going down hills. With longboarding going down steep hills is the classic picture I think of. Another way skateboarding has stayed the same is with the authorities. Skateboarders have also been stereotyped as rebellious people who enjoy destructing public property. The chance that a person will damage property with a bike doing tricks is just as likely as someone with a skateboard.
Share/Bookmark