Thursday, March 18, 2010

Nathan H.




    From now on, Hanover, New Hampshire should rename itself to Dogtown. Dogtown is a nickname for a portion of Santa Monica, California, where the skateboarding world changed forever. This week in Hanover, a group of highschoolers (including myself) were given the chance to construct longboards. Taught by professional builders and experienced riders (Wayne from surf_rodz and Andrew from Green Street Longboards), we began to write our own history, and put Hanover on the longboarding map.
    As the sun came out, so did everyone's creative spirit. We were given the choice of which wood to construct with, and free range on the design of our boards. Unlike many of the participants in this class, I already have two longboards of my own, so I decided to make a different style board than the ones I already have. While I may have mild experience with the riding aspect of longboarding, aside from an 8th grade wood shop class, I have little experience building with wood. This is where the class has rewarded me the most. Starting with a hunk of bamboo and turning it into my own board has been a great experience. It makes one realize that it isn't just about riding, it's about creating something to be proud of. I think it's safe to say that everyone will roll away from this class with a new found appreciation for riding, building, and the evolving longboard culture.
Share/Bookmark