Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 1: Grace



Today I walked in having no idea about anything when it came to longboards. My plan was to make something simple like the cruiser. A beginner longboard, in which I could use for fun. I found out that any of the different styles would work for what I wanted. I looked around at the many other longboards which had been made, and ended up making one similar to the freerider style. One of the main reasons I picked this was because it has no front or back. This allows me to skate and not have to flip my longboard around. From there I traced the design onto a 7-ply plank. Then from there I cut and sanded to create my board. Before actually getting to work I needed to learn how to use the tools. Today was my first time ever using power tools. My board turned out well, and I am happy that I didn’t mess up!
The more I’ve learned about longboarding the more interested I am. I really appreciate all the help I’ve gotten so far from everyone in the collective (including Wayne from Surf_Rods and Marcelo from Uncommon Boards). Not only are the instructors helpful, but also the other kids in the collective. Everyone is willing to help one another out. All of us are looking forward to completing our boards and to be able to go outside in the nice weather to skate!
-Grace

Share/Bookmark