Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 1: Martin


Today we started out by Mr. Lavigne introducing Wayne from Surf-Rodz and Marcelo from Uncommon Boards. Both of them along with Mr. Lavigne and Mr. Holloway will be helping us throughout the march intensive with designing and creating our boards. We then moved on drawing out and planning out our boards. I spent a while looking at different designs of boards before I decided on what I wanted to do. I then planned it out on paper with the help of Marcel, Wayne, and Mr. Lavigne. While this was going on, Mr. Holloway was taking small groups of students to show them how all the machines worked in the shop. Once my design was completed, i traced it onto the wood that would become my board. I started cutting out the shape that i wanted, and I worked on this until lunch time.
After a short lunch break, I resumed my work on my board. I finished cutting out my shape and then moved on to sanding down all the edges so that my board would look nice and feel smooth. I spent a very long time on the sanding using a variety of different tools and techniques. After a while we had to clean up the shop. Once everything was in order we went back into the classroom where Mr. Lavigne gave us the march intensive shirts along with brand new helmets. We then spent the last bit of time riding various long boards that both students and adults had brought in around the back parking lot. Overall today was really fun and I look forward to finishing up my board in the next couple of days!
- Martin

Share/Bookmark