Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 1: Meg


Day #1: Tuesday, March 20:

Today was such a productive day! I knew absolutely nothing about working with power tools and wood, let alone actually building and shaping a longboard. Not to mention the fact that I knew even less about longboarding in general. Regardless, with the help of many experienced individuals, I successfully made a template for my board (I chose a Freerider design, as Wayne explained it would be easier--and more fun--for me to use as I got better and actually learned how to longboard), transferred the design to a 7-ply plank, and cut/sanded my board. It isn’t exactly perfect, but I’m pretty impressed with myself!

We also got some sweet free stickers and helmets today, and now I am currently trying to think up a design for my helmet to enter the mini-contest. Unfortunately, I seem to have too many ideas and not enough time! I also still need to figure out what designs/graphics I want to use on my own board, which I believe we will be doing tomorrow. I think I may try to experiment with the grip tape as well on top of my board...we will see what happens!

I can already tell that this March Intensive was a great choice for me to end my high school career with (I am currently a Senior), as it is pushing me out of my comfort zone and introducing me to new things. As I potential art student, I am really interested in how art is used in longboarding. Who knows? Perhaps this course will influence my future career choices!

- Meg

Share/Bookmark