Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 1: Eleanor


Day #1: Designing, Cutting, Sanding & Riding!



When I signed up for the Longboard Collective I was a little nervous because I’ve *never* boarded. I haven’t stood on a skateboard, a snowboard, and especially not a longboard! Luckily, this course works for beginners. At the beginning I stood on a couple of the boards that Wayne, Mr. Lavigne, and Marcelo had brought for us and I decided on the shape of my board. Tracing and transferring the design to our blank board just took time and patience. Even though my friend Grace and I were beginners to longboarding we were the first in the shop! Before today I’d never worked with any shop machinery so the jigsaws and band saws were intimidating. All of the adults helped me at some point so I came out with all of my fingers and a smooth and well cut board. I’m really satisfied with where I am and I hope that the graphics just make it look better! 
The other really exciting part of my day was actually getting on a board! I have never gotten on a longboard and today I got to practice pushing and dragging. I went down a hill without falling..stopping was the hard part! I’m really looking forward to applying graphics to the board and I hope that it’s sanded enough to look good. Right now, my plan is to do black and red details with grip tape patterns. I’m not sure if I’ll make my helmet match. We’ll see! I’ve already talked with my brother and I think that longboarding might become a habit for both of us! I’m going to teach him what I know and I hope that we can both enjoy my board.

- Eleanor

Share/Bookmark