Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hans Day 2



When I signed up for the longboard collective I was expecting it to be challenging and not that fun. I was wrong. The Longboard Collective is extremely fun, we were supplied with 7 ply maple boards, and enough drafting paper for all of us. I sat down and made my paper design it evolved in to my board. Then we went to the wood shop and cut out the deck. I cut out my deck with a jigsaw, I put my material on the sawhorse and clamped it. The clamps were difficult because of the shape of the deck, but I managed to clamp it down so that it was steady.
Once the deck was cut out I started sanding my deck with a drum sander, that was mounted on a drill. I used this on the edges, but it wasn't making them straight just smooth. I took my board over to the large disk sander and then straightened all of the edges, then I grabbed an orbital disk sander and cleaned up the hole deck. After this I hand sanded over the board for a final finish. 
The first day of the collective I managed to cut out the shape then sand it into perfection. The final product is a 44 inch deck with a large whale tale. The deck also has a unique tip that looks like the head of a manta ray. All of this was possible because of all of the help that the teachers gave us.

Share/Bookmark