Saturday, March 24, 2012

Grace

Day 2
This afternoon we worked on our graphics for our boards. My original plan was to stain the bottom of the board black and then splatter paint it with bright colors. I became very indecisive when I saw what other people were doing for their graphics, and seeing a different range of things I would be able to do. I did not have a lot of time to make a stencil so I thought of an easy one that wouldn’t take long to cut out. The design I decided on was to have a path of small handprints along my board. To do so I first stained the bottom of the board red, then covered it in masking tape. After the tape was placed on, I traced the small path of handprints and used an exacto knife to cut the tracings out. I then had to take all the tape off the board expect the cut outs of the small handprints. The was the hardest task to do so far. From there my board looked red with a path of blue (from the masking tape) handprints. It was then time to stain over the board with black. By the end of the day today my board turned out to be a dark-woodish color, and tomorrow I plan on taking the masking tape off to reveal the red handprints. 
While letting our boards sit out to dry, we all took turns using each others boards which were already made to skate around in the parking lot behind the school. This was my first time to try riding out. For me, I really enjoy watching the instructors and the other students in the collective skate. Many of them already know how to, and can do some pretty cool tricks. Of course our safety came first so all of us made sure to wear our helmets that we got the first day of the collective. I’m still thinking of what I could do to design my helmet.

Day 3
The first thing I did today was take the tape of the handprints off my board. They turned out really well, and I am happy with the design. The red handprints really stand out against the black bottom. Peeling the tape off was difficult and had to make sure to take my time. After this task was done I sprayed and layered sealant to the front and the back of the board. It took a while for the sealant to dry. During the down time people worked on designing their helmets. I spray painted mine black, and am still thinking of what else I could ask. I had to cover up the holes with tape in order to block the paint from getting inside the helmet. Once my board was dry, we went on to gripping it. Gripping took a lot of time and thanks to Wayne, Andrew, and Mr. Lavigne most of us got it done a lot quicker. Some people cut out designs for their grip, while others like myself covered the whole front side of the board with it. 





There was a lot of down time today while other people were getting help. It’s still very nice to have this because we were able to use the extra longboards people had brought to go outside and skate around. At the end of the day we learned about wheels and trucks. It’s not a good thing if your wheels are able to move around a lot on the trucks. We then assembled ours that would be placed on our boards tomorrow. I’m excited that we are almost done with our longboards and can skate!


Share/Bookmark