Thursday, March 24, 2011





Sarah B.
DAAAAAYYYYY THREEEEE. Today I started off by drawing my graphic on my board. We had the option of silk screening our designs on our boards but I drew mine free-hand with a sharpie. It’s a cartoon-esque drawing of a lighthouse. I was nervous that I would make a mistake that would make me never want to look at the bottom of my board, but I’m actually really pleased with the way it came out. Then I put a coat of polyurethane on the top of my board, and now comes the waiting....

These past three days have been a learning experience unlike any I could have had in a normal classroom setting. I love the hands-on aspect of the Longboard Collective and the fact that our final product will (hopefully) be functional. I think that has really encouraged me to take great care in the making of my board. My board is a pretty classic shape, nothing too fancy. I wanted a fairly standard board to learn on. It’s about 38 inches long and it’s nice and wide. I am excited for the snow to melt so I can actually learn how to ride without falling off like I did the other day in the parking lot. No casualties, no worries. Last night Alex and I painted our helmets with paints that her Opa gave her. (Opa is Grandpa in Dutch [and German :-), ed.]) We both did some sponge painting, and had a blast doing work for the longboard collective outside of school. I taught her how to draw a sailboat! I’ve really liked getting to know the kids in my march intensive and spending time with people I normally see very little of. 

[..., ed.]

I am really looking forward to having the drying being done so we can start to assemble our boards. I heard on the radio this morning that it’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully the snow will hold off so we can go outside and SHRED.

Share/Bookmark